German packaging law - VerpackG
Since January 1, 2022, German legislation on packaging has undergone new adaptations, in particular a registration obligation for all companies which offer products with packaging on the German market and new provisions for companies active in B2B .
This law is extended for companies located outside of Germany that ship parcels within the country.
Objectives of the VerpackG law
- Marked increase in recycling targets
- Prevention of packaging waste
- Equity between producers
According to German law, the company which commercially places filled packaging with goods on the German market for the purpose of distribution, consumption or use (this also applies to free samples)
As there is no minimum threshold (like 300 kg in Belgium), anyone marketing packaging for the first time in Germany is affected by the new law and must comply with the regulations.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PACKAGING IN CASE OF EXPORT?
- Company subject to obligations Any producer or economic operator, marketing packaged products for the first time on German territory (as the first distributor), must comply with the new law, even if he is based abroad
- In the case of export to Germany: The company responsible for the packaged goods when crossing the German border (passing of risk) must comply with German obligations regarding the take-back and recycling of packaging
Do you work in DROPSHIPPING or Wholesale to Germany with Kokoon Design?
Kokoon Design ships directly to a German consumer and is responsible for all packaging sent.
You have nothing to do. Kokoon Design is already in compliance with this new regulation. We have the LUCID number. (Which we can provide on request)
Do you work in EXWORKS with Kokoon Design?
In this case, you are responsible for the import into Germany and must comply with this regulation.
You are therefore required to register with the Central Register (“Zentrale Stelle
Verpackungsregister | LUCID”) before marketing the products purchased in EXWORKS on German soil.
SUMMARY OF BASIC OBLIGATIONS TO COMPLY WITH VERPACKG IF YOU WORK IN EXWORKS AND ARE YOURSELF IN CHARGE OF IMPORTING PRODUCTS INTO GERMAN TERRITORY:
- Participate in an eco-organization (like Landbell)
- Register in the new Producer Register (Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister | LUCID on the website https://www.verpackungsregister.org/org/ )
- Declare the quantity of packaging by type of material to an eco-organization and the Central Registry.
- In specific cases, submit the integrity statement to the Central Registry.
Our entire team obviously remains at your disposal if you have any additional questions regarding this new regulation.